When you click on a page, scroll past this week's featured photo to view.

WELCOME!

This site is dedicated to sharing what we have learned with you! Enjoy our tutorials, and if you have a question please feel free to ask! I know one of our sugar enthusiasts will either know or try to find the answer.
We all have something to share...and we all have something to learn!


___________________________________________________________



Nothing says Irish like Beautiful Lace

Nothing says Irish like Beautiful Lace
Click on photo for Earlene Moore's tutorial for beautiful fondant lace and have fun with your next cake!


.............................................................................................................................

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
.............................................................................................................................



Monday, March 15, 2010

Oops!! How Do I Fix That?!!



Have you ever had those days when it seems like everything keeps going wrong?  I was having one of those while I was making this cake for a bridal show.


I had so much trouble with my black fondant breaking and cracking and pitting!  Used the wrong type of coloring medium!!  Anyway...I was finally able to get my fondant to work and finished up this cake.  The last thing I put on it were the gems.  I did that right before I went to bed.  The gems felt securely on the cake, so off I went to slumberland.

In the morning....I found...OH NO!!!  What the heck!!  Several of the gems had slid down the side  Now what am I going to do!!!!!  I thought that since it was red on white, it would be impossible to remove that huge streak. 

Then I remembered reading somewhere that you can use vodka or lemon extract to clean up the spot!!  Yea!!

I used a Qtip and carefully started wiping the smudge area.  I used several Qtips because they would get really soak up that red and get dirty. 

Volia!!  Like new again!!  I then reattached the gems and was happy how this cake turned out!!

You can also use this method to clean up luster dust mistakes or smears.  If you are painting something on your cake with luster, make sure you think in terms painting a wall in your house.  Use paper towels or pieces of paper like you would drop clothes.  They can be butted right up to the area in which you are painted so that you don't get smudges where you don't want them.  Use very small paint brushes in small areas and wipe them off frequently.

Hope this helps someone in need!! 


Tutorial by Rhonda Christensen
2010
All Rights Reserved

This material may not be republished or reproduced in any manner without the expressed permission of the author.

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip! I find it extremely helpful! I had this problem and didn't know what to do before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very helpful Rhonda, thanks for posting this. I can vouch for how well it works. Painted some trim on an upper tier with gold luster dust, didn't think to protect the lower tier with paper toweling. Results were bits of gold scattered over the bottom tier top. I tried blowing it away and only made it worse. Finally did the alcohol and Q-tip technique and got nearly all of it off. That you were able to remove red just shows how well this works.
    Thanks,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I never knew that. I'll going to have to write this down in my decorating books. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Faithy, Shirley and Michel-lee!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing Rhonda! I love that black and white cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhonda,
    Thank you so very much for this tip. I would of certainly of panicked and had no idea this would of been possible to correct in such a simple way. A tip worth sharing and saving cake decorators in a jam.
    By the way, that cake was stunningly beautiful.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great tip Rhonda!!
    I would have totally panicked.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much Stephanie, Deb and Jacque! I did panic when I first saw this!! This tip has helped on so many cakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was amazing, Thanks for sharing... that really helped!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant tip, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's very very very beautiful! I like it! I want to ask you...After you put fondant on the cake, the cake keep it in the fridge? Or keep it at room temperature? Thanks! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for life saver tip. Beautiful cake
    Sandra :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tip Thank you! but would the vodka/lemon trick work on coloured icing as well as white?

    ReplyDelete
  14. i had forgotten that thanks for reminding me

    ReplyDelete
  15. I ordered a cake with fondant in 2 colors of tan and white to make a camouflage marbled look. WEll one color is wrong. How can it be fixed quickly

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you! this is a great tip i definitely needed to read!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The thing to remember though, is that the area you rub with vodka will be shiny. I have definitely used this trick many times but if the area I have to fix is large I may end up steaming the cake to hide the shiny area.

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate your comments and always look forward to hearing from you!

However we do not like spam, derogatory comments, or foul language. We would appreciate it if your would refrain from doing so or your comment will be deleted.

Search This Blog

The Tutorials This Week Were Generously Shared by

RHONDA CHRISTENSEN, EARLENE MOORE, BOBBIE NOTO, EDNA DE LA CRUZ & TONI BRANCATISANO

And to ALL of our Readers...

Above all, have fun and keep baking!

Think CHOCOLATE!

A Very Sweet Tutorial by Bobbie Noto

A Very Sweet Tutorial by Bobbie Noto
I was instantly in love when Bobbie Noto shared this cookie with SugarTeachers! She is an amazing talent. For instructions on how to create this adorable cookie, click on the photo and don't forget to subscribe to Bobbie's website!

Pillow Cake Tutorial by Toni Brancatisano

Pillow Cake Tutorial by Toni Brancatisano
How beautiful! A great tutorial shared byToni Brancatisano. Click on photo to see the tutorial!

Pistachio-Cardamom Cake

Pistachio-Cardamom Cake
Click on link for Edna De La Cruz's dee-lish cake recipe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails